How to stop and smell the roses at 100mph

Saturday, June 10, 2006

Which football code?

I just got back from watching England's first game in the World Cup. All my sentimental attachment to England as one of my homes meant that I was very pleased they won. And Mike, a work buddy, was at the actual game, having the time of his life, so I wanted to watch it so that I can talk to him about it when he gets back. He went along wearing England socks that I'd given him a while ago, and waving an England flag that I gave brought him when I came back recently. It was nice to have contributed to making the occasion more special for him!

Tonight, it was a pretty quiet game. It would have been nice to see a little more action but - oh well! Actually, we missed the main part of the action. Paraguay scored an own goal in the 4th minute, but we missed it...the place where we were couldn't find the football channel until about 25mins into the game, by which stage most of the guys had made an exit to the next closest venue that was showing the footy! They came back at half time and boosted the crowd watching, so that was great!

It's funny - I haven't really ever known anything about the soccer before. When I was in England, though, I took the chance to learn about it so that I could participate a bit more fully in the excitement of the English lads in my office, in particular (Mike and Steve)! It's paying off - I can now talk about Crouch's dance, Rooney's metatarsel and Walcott's age and lack of experience and sound like I might even know what I'm talking about! (BTW - BBC had a very funny video of 'breaking news', and the title was Rooney kicks ball with injured foot. It seemed a funny headline for breaking news!)

All of this just to say that, when I was growing up, "football" meant rugby league, the main code I followed, and then could also be rugby union, Aussie rules, soccer, gridiron. Now, though, when I say football, I really mean football!! Why are those other codes called football then they mainly use the hands to contact the ball!?!

And I have to say I have been really impressed by how sportsmanlike (gentlemanly?!) a game football is. A player goes down, and a guy from the other team will kick the ball out; they help each other up when fallen; and generally seem to respect one another. Seems a far cry from the footy (league) I used to watch on the TV and in the stadium. I'm impressed!

Strange. Can't believe I'm into football! :)

So...Monday night...Australia's first game against Japan...
Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi
C'mon Aussie, c'mon, c'mon, C'mon Aussie c'mon!

1 Comments:

  • At 6:29 pm, Blogger Steveybabe said…

    Am very glad you're getting into the football spirit. :o) That England video of Rooney kicking a ball was a classic. But so was the Sydney morning Herald's headline "Socceroos thrash Greece 1-0"...go figure!

    Let's hope the Aussies can beat Japan...its a tough call :o)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home