How to stop and smell the roses at 100mph

Thursday, June 22, 2006

Storm in a teacup

Disneyland opened here last September, and I have been wanting to go since then. Last Sunday, a few of us made a last minute decision and went out there. It was absolutely awesome! It was a great escape for a day; kind of like going into another world and leaving behind this one for a short while.

Loved Space Mountain; loved the Buzz Lightyear ride; loved the Disney Philharmagic 3D movie. One thing I feared: the Tea Cup ride! I remember going on this in Anaheim, LA, when I was 10 years old, and the experience has scarred me since then. I can't actually remember much about it, except for a deep sense of foreboding and turmoil in my stomach and head!! Similar experiences on other spinning rides have instilled fear in me over the years, too.

So, in honour of my new committment to "Do the thing you fear", I decided not to sit this ride out! I wasn't overly encouraged, though, by the fact that, just as we were waiting, a little granny got out of the tea cup after her spin and toppled over, hitting her head on the saucer! She walked away (be it ever so gingerly) but still...not a good sign!

The others graciously supported me by dividing into two teacups: a fast, furious spinning one and more sedate paced one! I kept my eyes firmly fixed on those in my cup and lived to tell the tale! (and kept my lunch in!)

As we were queuing, Helen said "This is one of those 'do the things you fear' moments, isn't it? A blog entry in the making!" Thanks, Helen! You inspired me!

I'm obviously not the only one who has a bit of an issue with the Tea Cups. Thought this was funny: an article about speed regulation of the teacups in Anaheim.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home