Let's go fly a kite - even in Lahore!
Contrary to what the frequency of my blogging recently may lead you to believe, I am still alive!
I returned this week from a fleeting but fantastic visit to Lahore for what we came to term while there as "the wedding of the century" - the wedding of Michelle to Mark. It was an absolutely wonderful time - like being in another world and so refreshing, complete with bride and groom arriving at the reception in cinderella carriage with fireworks above.
While there, another wedding guest asked about the famous annual kite-flying festival/competition of Lahore. We were told that it had been banned because it was too dangerous! Apparently, motorcyclists were being garotted by glass-covered kite lines that dragged across the road at about neck height. Sounds unpleasant! (The glass is attached to the strings so that the strings cut competitors' kites when they cross as they fly.)
Just read on the BBC, though, that kite-flying has been legalised briefly for the coming festival in February, though will become illegal again straight afterwards. "Officials said bikers in Punjab had also been told to affix protective antennae on their bikes to protect them against the kite strings."
Never did I imagine that kite-flying could be so dangerous!
I returned this week from a fleeting but fantastic visit to Lahore for what we came to term while there as "the wedding of the century" - the wedding of Michelle to Mark. It was an absolutely wonderful time - like being in another world and so refreshing, complete with bride and groom arriving at the reception in cinderella carriage with fireworks above.
While there, another wedding guest asked about the famous annual kite-flying festival/competition of Lahore. We were told that it had been banned because it was too dangerous! Apparently, motorcyclists were being garotted by glass-covered kite lines that dragged across the road at about neck height. Sounds unpleasant! (The glass is attached to the strings so that the strings cut competitors' kites when they cross as they fly.)
Just read on the BBC, though, that kite-flying has been legalised briefly for the coming festival in February, though will become illegal again straight afterwards. "Officials said bikers in Punjab had also been told to affix protective antennae on their bikes to protect them against the kite strings."
Never did I imagine that kite-flying could be so dangerous!


1 Comments:
At 3:54 pm,
Joe said…
I heard from my grandma that you met a friend of hers in Lahore! How on earth did you make the connection?
I was also impressed with my grandma because she remembered you. She said 'lovely girl, worked in the office and wore glasses' :)
p.s. please post some Pakistan photos!
Post a Comment
<< Home