How to stop and smell the roses at 100mph

Thursday, October 12, 2006

I am not alone!

Apparently, I am not alone. Thanks to Mike, I've become aware that there are at least 3785 other people who state as one of their main goals to "wake up when my alarm goes off". It's nice to know there is a little community of people as pathetic as me! What's more helpful, though, is that there is also a community of people who have posted answers to the question "I almost missed school today because I never even heard the alarm clock beeping and beeping nonstop for an entire hour. What can I do?"

Hmm...can't imagine what that is like! :-/

Actually, somehow I think I was alright at waking up in high school days, though I would always shoot for a sleep in if there was the chance. It was only when I got to uni that I think I developed the unnerving habit of ignoring the fact that I needed to be up. I remember Dad waking me at about 6.30, and again at 7 on his way out, and then Mum would come in at 7.30...8...8.30... The most common excuse I had for sleeping late at uni was convincing myself that if I got up *now* (after sleeping through the alarm), I'd have to walk in late for my class so it would be more virtuous to sleep a little more and get up in time to be on on time for my second class. There's a twisted logic in there, somewhere...I'm sure of it...!

As I write this post, memories are flooding back to me of a history of being a terrible morning riser. I'd always wanted one of those cool alarm clocks with the bells and clappers on top...an alarm that truly does 'ring' when it goes off. In '98, Caro sent me one in HK that would have been loud enough to wake the rooster! Unfortunately, it didn't only ring loudly but also ticked loudly (even from within the cupboard smothered with clothes!), so we just had to hide it till it ran out of juice and stopped ticking. That clock is still in my room in Sydney. Perhaps next time I'm there I should bring it back with me. Now that I no longer share a room, it's probably ok to have a loud TICKING clock.

Meanwhile...I think it's time to move the third alarm clock to the other side of the room. The clock radio is next to the bed so I can see the time. The mobile is also next to me so I can grab it if it beeps or rings in the night. So the cheap little "beep beep beep" clock is the only one that can move. It's the last thing to try before moving onto these tips for Waking up early and consistently.

4 Comments:

  • At 9:38 pm, Blogger Joe said…

    Ooh! I never imagined you as someone who skipped classes!

     
  • At 4:57 am, Blogger Cal said…

    The secret with alarms across the room is not to get into the habit of switching them off and then returning to bed for 'just a minute'!

    Glad it's not just me that's not a morning person. How I made all those 7am starts (not to mention the 7am ferries) on Lantau I'll never know!

     
  • At 1:48 am, Blogger KT said…

    Oh how did you know?! I did that this morning!! 'just a minute' is usually about 30, in my experience!

    Unearthing these dark hidden secrets about my waking patterns is propelling me toward change! I can do this!!!

     
  • At 2:03 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I think the bucket of water is the best answer. I'm filling it now... ;-)

    Poured, with love,

    Your flat mate :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home