How to stop and smell the roses at 100mph

Monday, September 25, 2006

Ode to Disney

Winter has arrived in Hong Kong. This time, my weather knowledge hasn't come from the HK Observatory website, but from that of Disneyland!!

The opening hours for Disneyland switched into 'winter' mode last week, and the park is now closing an hour earlier. And, as of Thursday this week, the unlimited entry summer passes that many of us have been enjoying expire! How sad! It's been a lot of fun to have a few days out at Disney, knowing there would be more to come so it didn't really matter how much we did or didn't manage to squeeze into the time. I had a few nights out there after work over the last couple of months, arriving with just enough time for one ride in the hour before the fireworks and then heading home again.

Last night, I was asked what my favourite thing about the park was. I really like Space Mountain. It's kind of breathtakingly beautiful in there. I also really like the Lion King show - I love musicals/stage shows and this one is great! Everyone else seems to love BuzzLightyear but for some reason I just haven't really got into it. I think I'm just not that interested in the competitive element of it. But, actually, the main thing that I like about the park is the atmosphere and the fun things that appear in every corner, ride and shop. It's certainly a place that you can love and enjoy without going on any rides. Each of the shops is decorated in theme depending on what ride it is part of, and each of the three lands - AdventureLand, FantasyLand and TomorrowLand is really different in terms of what you experience as you walk around. And every one of the "cast" (as they call staff there) is so friendly and genuinely looks happy to be there and to be talking to you!!

We were talking yesterday on the way home about Walt Disney, and how he must have just been a lovely guy who wanted to bring people joy. All of Disney's staff around the world seem to have the same attitude! One of our friends went into a Disney shop in New York after some scary meetings just because she knew she'd find people who'd be nice to her in there! And they were!! :)

Hopefully there'll be some photos to post here soon of our last adventure into Disneyland for a while. Apparently they are introducing an annual pass. I'm not sure it would be worth the cost, though, from my perspective. I'd prefer to pay less and save up my visits for a few months every year.

Bring on summer again!!

3 Comments:

  • At 11:19 pm, Blogger Cal said…

    Hey there lovely Kitey. Sounds like you have been having a wonderful time at Disneyworld and I've hesitated about posting this but I'm not sure that old Walt was quite the avuncular, altruistic gentleman you have in mind.

    Even allowing for the bias in this article
    http://www.greenleft.org.au/back/2004/577/577p21.htm
    there are plenty of other articles, including the official biographies if you read between the lines, that show a different side.

    And try googling 'disney + working conditions' to get some idea of how the Disney magic is brought to life today.

    It's the flip side of the undoubted great joy and pleasure that Disney films, parks and products do bring young and old alike.

     
  • At 5:31 pm, Blogger Joe said…

    hehe... i just remembered John Safran's documentary in 'race around the world' where he planted Saddam dolls in the 'it's a small world' ride and replaced a plaque on a WD bust with another one detailing his alleged anti-semitism.

     
  • At 11:44 pm, Blogger KT said…

    Well fine then! Go ahead and burst my bubble :)

    While discussing possible responses to your posts this morning, a suggestion was
    "Disney: making the rich happy and the poor sad..."

    Maybe not such a catchy line!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home