Out of the mouths of babes...
Calvin and Hobbes reminded me of a theological truth today.
In this comic, Calvin declares that "We rely on sight to confirm the existence of things. We don't believe in things we can't see." He then gets an attack of itches from no-see-ums, or what one of my friends calls IBTs (Invisible Black Things), and Hobbes feels he's put Calvin in his place by showing him that not everything that exists can be seen.
The Bible says that faith is "being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see". The apostle Thomas is famous for declaring that he wouldn't believe Jesus had risen from the dead till he saw his wounds with his own eyes and was able to put his hands in the wounds in Jesus' side. Jesus comes to him and Thomas falls at his feet proclaiming, "My Lord and my God!". Jesus then says, "Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed".
There is evidence of God everywhere...everyday glimpses of his existence and his presence. The thunderstorm last night, the selfless love I see in people who know him, the guidance he gives, the consistent provision and care he shows me...all proof that God is real, despite the fact I haven't seen him with my own eyes. One day I'll see him face to face, and then I'll fall to my knees and say, like Thomas, "My Lord and my God!". Until then, I'll be sure of what I hope for and certain of what I do not see, and continue to experience the divine no-see-ums or IBTs that God sends my way.
In this comic, Calvin declares that "We rely on sight to confirm the existence of things. We don't believe in things we can't see." He then gets an attack of itches from no-see-ums, or what one of my friends calls IBTs (Invisible Black Things), and Hobbes feels he's put Calvin in his place by showing him that not everything that exists can be seen.
The Bible says that faith is "being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see". The apostle Thomas is famous for declaring that he wouldn't believe Jesus had risen from the dead till he saw his wounds with his own eyes and was able to put his hands in the wounds in Jesus' side. Jesus comes to him and Thomas falls at his feet proclaiming, "My Lord and my God!". Jesus then says, "Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed".
There is evidence of God everywhere...everyday glimpses of his existence and his presence. The thunderstorm last night, the selfless love I see in people who know him, the guidance he gives, the consistent provision and care he shows me...all proof that God is real, despite the fact I haven't seen him with my own eyes. One day I'll see him face to face, and then I'll fall to my knees and say, like Thomas, "My Lord and my God!". Until then, I'll be sure of what I hope for and certain of what I do not see, and continue to experience the divine no-see-ums or IBTs that God sends my way.


1 Comments:
At 7:02 pm,
Anonymous said…
Hey Sister, You are right on the $. I like the way you think! Keep up the great blog!! Phil
Post a Comment
<< Home