How to stop and smell the roses at 100mph

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Cooking up a storm

It was my birthday last week and there seemed to be a central theme to a lot of the gifts I received: cooking!

People here know that I am trying to increase my skill and confidence in the kitchen and that I have been surprised to find how much I enjoy cooking after years of not really doing anything much in that area of life. So, among the gifts I received: a new set of crockery (matching!), a grater, a strainer, all sorts of ladels, a few mixing bowls, weighing scales, an apron, serving implements, a measuring cup, a peeler. It's kind of crazy to admit it, but this is the first time my apartment has had any of these things! No wonder I have found it difficult to enjoy cooking before now!

The only kind of implement we really had in our kitchen (apart from pots & pans) before last week was a super-duper can opener, which is the best ever. And even that is new - a gift to remind me of cooking in Oxford! When I borrowed a friend's kitchen to cook, I got excited by small things: a working can opener, an apple corer, baking trays of different sizes, 4 gas hobs instead of 2 :) The can opener I was used to in HK didn't really open cans. It kind of pierced the metal enough so that I could get a sharp knife in and hack away till the lid was lifted enough to coax the contents out.

On Sunday night, I made my first ever crumble (apple and raisin, recipe from Delia). Equipped with all the right stuff, I found it really easy. And it was yum! :) Things are looking up.

So if you have a favourite recipe, please let me know! Would love to learn more. I have a long way to go but at least the start has been made!

6 Comments:

  • At 6:21 pm, Blogger Steveybabe said…

    ooh! yum yum!

    I'd put my hand up for a green curry any time ;o)

     
  • At 4:53 pm, Blogger pip said…

    sounds like I'll have to try to swing by HK sometime!

     
  • At 8:43 pm, Blogger KT said…

    Hey Pip - I will cook if you will come :)

     
  • At 6:46 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    My favourite recipe is as follows:

    Into a mixing bowl, or electric mixer, add:
    - flower
    - milk
    - 1 egg

    Mix until combined. The thickness can be as you desire. The thicker the mix, the thicker the pancakes!

    Pour batter onto to hot frypan, when mix bubbles through, flip. Heat other side for a bit, take of heat, put on plate then add topping of choice. My favourite toppings include lemon and suger or, for dessert, ice cream and maple syrup.

    mmmm, pancakes.

     
  • At 6:47 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    ooops, better add FLOUR not flower to that recipe..

     
  • At 4:04 pm, Blogger KT said…

    Yum indeed! Now pancakes is something I've never really done. Will be great to learn! Think I should up the rates I'm paying...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home