Techno-geoisie
"Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day," says the proverb. "Get a Western consultant to teach him how to fish," adds the Financial Times, "and he'll eat for life, the consultant will get rich and the government giving the money will boost its aid figures."I read this quote today in an article on Alertnet. The article went on to quote a recent publication by ActionAid "that says too much aid money is spent on over-indulged consultants who jet across the world in first class seats, stay in luxury hotels and move around the host country in air-conditioned bubbles with little understanding of what will really benefit the poor. As they sip their gin and tonics on the flight home they write up disastrous advice, often advocating ill-fated, high-tech solutions which are then implemented by companies based overwhelmingly in the donor country."
They are probably right. I'm sure that does happen. But what shouldn't be allowed to happen is that, because of mistakes that are made by some, we all stop trying. We won't all get it right. But because others get it wrong doesn't mean we shouldn't try!
Two recent blog entries have inspired me to think more about the difference I can make, you can make. I've been reminded here that I have a responsibility to be connected to the poor, to get close to them and not remain at arm's length. And this post reminds me that technology can definitely be harnassed for good, and that "our generation can end extreme poverty" (Bono).
Practical Action is a group that exists to ensure transfer of appropriate technology in the form of equipment, skills and knowledge. They also inspire me that it can be done, and can be done well.
By the way, the title of this entry was my attempt to combine technology with bourgeoisie...only I had to try the dictionary several times before I worked out how to begin to spell it! The word is used with tongue in cheek...someone told me yesterday that bourgeoisie is a pretentious word :)


1 Comments:
At 7:26 pm,
Cal said…
Well hello there, look who I've found: Kitty, Kitey, Katey. How nice to find you blogging. Came across you via a link from Pip's blog which was in itself a link from Joe's blog (who I now see in reality as well as he's in London - hurray).
Glad to see you're as well and active as ever.
My blogging is erratic and I haven't told many people about it but do drop by and say hello. We can reminisce about old times on Lantau.
Clare
Post a Comment
<< Home