Jungle Book
Hong Kong is a jungle! Most people would probably have an image of it being a concrete jungle but, actually, HK is seriously green.
When I first got back here after being in the UK, I was shocked at the jungle-like, wild quality to the flowers and gardens here. In the UK, I'd got used to seeing delicate tulips, roses and daffodils, formed into exquisite bouquets and planted in carefully tended gardens with manicured lawns. I was amazed when I got home here to find a bunch of the wildest jungle flowers waiting for me. They were wonderful, it just seemed a stark contrast! The flowers here often grow on plants with luscious, green leaves. There's no shortage of water, so plants can afford to put lots of resources into producing big colourful flowers and lots of leaves. Quite different.
This week I've been reminded again of the jungle-like quality of the nature in Hong Kong. Our bathroom sink has been blocked and we thought it was just the result of three girls and lots of hair sharing it! Upon investigation, however, it was discovered that an opportunistic plant had sneaked its roots into our pipes and has been making itself very much at home! So, a couple of visits from the plumber (assisted by several people)/a big electric pump/lots of mud & roots later, our sink is now running clear again!
Life in the jungle of Hong Kong! Sometimes surprising, often wet, always green!
When I first got back here after being in the UK, I was shocked at the jungle-like, wild quality to the flowers and gardens here. In the UK, I'd got used to seeing delicate tulips, roses and daffodils, formed into exquisite bouquets and planted in carefully tended gardens with manicured lawns. I was amazed when I got home here to find a bunch of the wildest jungle flowers waiting for me. They were wonderful, it just seemed a stark contrast! The flowers here often grow on plants with luscious, green leaves. There's no shortage of water, so plants can afford to put lots of resources into producing big colourful flowers and lots of leaves. Quite different.
This week I've been reminded again of the jungle-like quality of the nature in Hong Kong. Our bathroom sink has been blocked and we thought it was just the result of three girls and lots of hair sharing it! Upon investigation, however, it was discovered that an opportunistic plant had sneaked its roots into our pipes and has been making itself very much at home! So, a couple of visits from the plumber (assisted by several people)/a big electric pump/lots of mud & roots later, our sink is now running clear again!
Life in the jungle of Hong Kong! Sometimes surprising, often wet, always green!


2 Comments:
At 4:09 am,
Ery Prasadja said…
Hi KT,
I enjoy reading your blog and reflection. It is always good at least to write one reflection/journal a day. Congrat! I hope I can join the world blog soon
At 6:46 pm,
Anonymous said…
Hmmmppphhhhh!! Guess who.
Post a Comment
<< Home