Beat the Drum
It's been a while...sorry for the silence.
Saw the most wonderful, wonderful movie last week. It's called "Beat the Drum", and is an African movie about a little boy from a village who goes to Johannesburg to find work. The backdrop of the movie is AIDS and how it is killing in Africa, and how it is a disease that can and should be prevented. It's quite evangelistic in that sense, but in a good way. The movie is extemely beautiful cinematographically (is that a word?), and the story of poverty, AIDS and hope is a really powerful one. As is all too often my habit, I spent the whole movie in tears...a combination of grief, a sense of injustice, gratitude for the privileges in my life, laughter, hope, a sense of calling and 'how on earth can I do anything other than serve people and causes like this with my life'! Needless to say, watching this film was a deeply moving experience. If you don't believe my recommendation of it, it's won tonnes of international film festival awards!!
See http://www.beatthedrumthemovie.com/
Apparently the King of Swaziland has made this film required viewing for all children in his country. There's a great CNN interview with the Director and the kid who's the main actor in the film.
Anyway, do what you can to get there and see it! I don't know how much longer it is showing for, or if it is on in your part of the world, but it's one of the best movies I've seen in years.
Saw the most wonderful, wonderful movie last week. It's called "Beat the Drum", and is an African movie about a little boy from a village who goes to Johannesburg to find work. The backdrop of the movie is AIDS and how it is killing in Africa, and how it is a disease that can and should be prevented. It's quite evangelistic in that sense, but in a good way. The movie is extemely beautiful cinematographically (is that a word?), and the story of poverty, AIDS and hope is a really powerful one. As is all too often my habit, I spent the whole movie in tears...a combination of grief, a sense of injustice, gratitude for the privileges in my life, laughter, hope, a sense of calling and 'how on earth can I do anything other than serve people and causes like this with my life'! Needless to say, watching this film was a deeply moving experience. If you don't believe my recommendation of it, it's won tonnes of international film festival awards!!
See http://www.beatthedrumthemovie.com/
Apparently the King of Swaziland has made this film required viewing for all children in his country. There's a great CNN interview with the Director and the kid who's the main actor in the film.
Anyway, do what you can to get there and see it! I don't know how much longer it is showing for, or if it is on in your part of the world, but it's one of the best movies I've seen in years.


1 Comments:
At 8:59 pm,
Anonymous said…
I took KT's advice: "do what you can to get there and see it". Wow! We hear the stats all the time of AIDs in Africa eg 1/3 of the adult population of Lesotho has AIDS. But what does that look like, really look like, in society, each day? This movie helped illustrate that for me. Thank you, KT, for your review!
Post a Comment
<< Home