Am I really an Australian citizen?
I'm starting to doubt that my Australian citizenship should be continued. Seems I am not really a true blue Aussie and might not be worthy of the passport I carry.
Immigrants to Australia will have to pass a test of knowledge about Australia. Some of the questions are a little obscure, and to be honest, completely unfair to expect people from another country to know about! See the SMH article here.
Were I not to have had the great fortune and life-forming blessing of being born in Sydney, I doubt I would qualify for Australian citizenship, despite the high-quality Australian and international education I have had to post-graduate level.
Not sure how the 'traditional Australian value of compassion and fairness to all' is displayed in the test that new immigrants will have to pass...I'm not impressed, Australia!
Immigrants to Australia will have to pass a test of knowledge about Australia. Some of the questions are a little obscure, and to be honest, completely unfair to expect people from another country to know about! See the SMH article here.
Were I not to have had the great fortune and life-forming blessing of being born in Sydney, I doubt I would qualify for Australian citizenship, despite the high-quality Australian and international education I have had to post-graduate level.
Not sure how the 'traditional Australian value of compassion and fairness to all' is displayed in the test that new immigrants will have to pass...I'm not impressed, Australia!


2 Comments:
At 6:37 pm,
pip said…
It seems more like a basic English comprehension test to me.
I listened to a report yesterday which added-
- people who fail the test can take it again &
- people over the age of 60 are exempt from taking the test...
Most of the questions seem OK to me.... I mean potential citizens only need to know the first line of the national anthem and then can just mumble the rest at any official functions.
And besides, publishing detailed descriptions of the various football codes looks like an essential tool for anyone wanting to make themselves at home in the land downunder (not to mention a worthy way to spend taxpayers money)... but do they also match various state beers to the codes?
At 2:49 pm,
Joe said…
Pip, you are right. There is a similar test here in the UK and it is not so much about the content but about the level of English you need to take the test.
Post a Comment
<< Home